It's about time

I figured that, despite the fact I really should get some sleep in anticipation of work tomorrow, I needed to catch up a bit on my New Yorker reading. Because they don't have the New Yorker Down South. And it's the food issue, which should be great, so I started reading a bit of the Talk of the Town, which I assume everyone reads anyway so I normally wouldn't bother mentioning in TWitNY. But given my commitment to blogging all things time-related as well as almost fatalistic obsession with determinism, I thought I needed to excerpt the following:

For us believing physicists, the separation between past, present, and future is only an illusion, although a convincing one. … On top of that, Einstein was a determinist--the outcome of everything is already knowable."

Then it goes on to briefly mention quantum theory, which does throw a monkey wrench in things, but not in a way that's remotely useful to proponents of free will. But anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you acquainted with our state's stringent usury laws?

Beep Beep Beep Beep, Yeah!

In which I blog again, however briefly