Great Googly-moogly!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one a little wary of Google. Information is everything, and the trajectory that Google is on places it in charge of all information everywhere by, say, next Tuesday. Even if Google holds fast to their motto, "Don't be evil," I'm not sure I want a single friendly company being the clearing house for the bulk of the information I deal with everyday.

That, of course, didn't stop me from logging in to Google's new Jabber server, which is the backend to their Google Talk thingy. Unlike with all my posts about metaphysics or economics, I actually know something about the collaborative software space (this is what I do all day at work, for those who think I still deal in faxes), and I'll probably get around to writing up my thoughts on Google Talk at some point. In the meantime, you can now contact me from a Jabber client (I recommend Adium X on the Mac, and I guess you could try the official Google Talk client on Windows, though it looks pretty plain) via my full first name dot last name at gmail dot com. (Don't use that as an actual email address, though, as I prefer things to go through my Columbia forwarding account.)

I'll probably write a 'bot and log it in using the jeffy34 address; the fact that it's cleaner to write 'bots in Perl against Jabber compared to oscar (AIM) might be the biggest win here. For me, at least.

Comments

  1. I don't know, dude, it sounds like you have the jabbering down just fine without a server.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only who who is like what the fuck. It's just further justification for me to be completely puzzled when I ask how you're doing, and you tell me if I read your blog, I would know, because these things have nothing to do with each other. Seriously. Blogging is so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging's awesome Scott. You are a sea cow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are you acquainted with our state's stringent usury laws?

Beep Beep Beep Beep, Yeah!

Some small updates