In which Norah Jones is fuckin' hot

Ryan and Sarahs's had their we're-moving-to-Boston-because-we-are-so-fancy going away thing tonight. One of Sarahs's friends from Ireland is in a bluegrass band that has been doing a string of gigs in the American northeast for the past few weeks, and tonight coincided with their last show before heading back to Ireland. They played at The Living Room on the Lower East Side, which turns out to be a very chill bar/stage, so that's where we coalesced for the goings-away.

The band we came to see was Prison Love (which, believe me, it took some careful Googling before I found the right link), and they were great, except they only played three songs. I asked one of the band members why and he alluded to some scheduling problems or something. When they finished their third song (the second being a cover of Phil Collins's ""Sussudio"), we were planning on heading out to grab some gluten-free pizza and risotto. But the band got word that the reason they were bumped was that Norah Jones was going to play an unannounced set later that evening! (I am loathe to use exclamation points, but as this fact is the crux of the post, I think it's warranted.)

We waited around and listened to more country/bluegrass bands, and, sure enough, the stage area starts getting packed and a buzz circulates through the crowd about Norah Jones. Sarahs and I were trying to figure out where she was, and I jokingly said that this tiny little girl who got up from a seat towards the back of the audience to walk around (and who smiled at me as she passed by, I might add) was her. Turns out it was.

So Norah Jones gets up there at around 11:34pm and starts playing some country music with her band. And she's very good, but the salient fact about the evening has to be that Norah Jones is fuckin' hot. I mean, she is. Back when I was in London, Come Away with Me was just being released in Europe, and there was a big advert with the album cover on the wall of the St. James Park tube station that I went to every morning. She looks very hot in that advert, and she looks hotter (or certainly cuter) in person.

In any case, they played for a while and then took a break between sets, with the place mostly emptying out while they went off stage. I left the bar with Ryan and Sarahs and Eugene, as Ryan and Sarahs had had a long evening and were saying their goodbyes. Once they left Eugene and I hung around outside in front of the bar a bit (Eugene bummed a cigarette from some Dutch chick and tried to give her a dollar for it, which she found rather offensive), and eventually Norah Jones came out and was standing right next to us, talking to some unkempt (even by my standards) hipsters. I snapped a photo of the moment for history's sake.

So that was cool. Oh, and I'm supposed to blog the following joke, told to me by a true Dubliner:
Q.: How can you tell that E.T. is a Protestant?
A.: Because he looks like one.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are you acquainted with our state's stringent usury laws?

Beep Beep Beep Beep, Yeah!

Some small updates